Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Turkey versus Ham

So Thanksgiving came and went recently. Of course only hours eating a huge meal at my sister’s house, the main dish being turkey, I asked, “Ham for Christmas?” as if I did not know. My sister, like my mother before her, always does a turkey with all the fixings for Thanksgiving, and a ham for Christmas. Have I mentioned that I love my sister dearly? Now on the other hand, one of my other sisters bakes a turkey for both holidays. I still love her dearly too though.
Turkey vs. Ham
Recently, bringing the topic up among friends I have discovered others have turkey on both days and some ham on both days. Some people do not even have ham or turkey either day. I know crazy right? I sometimes wonder what kind of world I am living in.

Anyways, I love turkey, especially with some stuffing, home made gravy, mashed potatoes, peas...you get the picture. Still, my love for it only goes so far. I mean, ham needs its place as well. Think of that juicy, pretty pink (don’t go there) spiral cut, honey glazed, scrumptious, tender ham. Mmmmm! Got your mouth watering doesn’t it? Why would anyone not want the best of both worlds? Why make both holidays the same? I could understand having one or the other on Easter, as there is not another suitable traditional holiday meat (though Easter Tenderloins might not be a bad idea). That is months apart though so whichever you choose for that day will seem fresh again.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are only about a month apart. On top of that, most people end up eating Thanksgiving leftovers for days, nay, weeks afterwards. So am I irrational for thinking turkey again on Christmas is wrong?

Please Rate or Leave me your feedback.

2 comments:

  1. we usually have ham AND turkey, no matter who's house we ate at. It is almost like it is mandatory. I am NOT a big fan or turkey. Sure I will get one piece (unless its fried,then it is on!) but I will pic off that poor piece of swine everytime I pass by! Poor Tom...throw you a small picnic ham in the crock pot with 1 cup of water on low all day, you wont regret it!~Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tina. I always like to eat apple sauce with my ham. Is that weird?

    ReplyDelete