Monday, January 3, 2011

One hit wonders - you will never be one and done to me

Ah yes, a subject covered repeatedly, yet that does not get old…let’s talk one hit wonders for a bit.
I am not Too Shy (Kajagoogoo) to discuss the songs I grew up with.  They are not guilty pleasures to me, because I have no guilt in announcing I love these songs.    We all know Video Killed the Radio Star (Buggles).  This allowed us a chance to watch MTV though, and learn to do The Safety Dance (Men Without Hats).   Ah yes, You Keep Me Hanging On (Kim Wilde) I’ve Been Thinking About You (Londonbeat).  
The lead singer of (Berlin) still Take(s) My Breath Away.   If I could tell her one thing, I would say I want to Melt With You (Modern English).    I would remind her We Don’t Have To Take Our Clothes Off to have a good time (Jermaine Stewart).  It was not meant to be though.  It was just another case of Tainted Love (Soft Cell).
Of course the bad side of me would like a Nasty Girl (Vanity 6).  I would be hard pressed to resist the pleas of Touch Me (Samantha Fox) and I would be tempted to show her my Jungle Love (Morris Day and The Time).    A man can dream.   In reality she would tell me, “Keep your Hands To Yourself” (Georgia Satellites).  Yup, I would end up Eaten By the Monster of Love (Sparks).
Wow, I need to catch my breath for a minute! Whew! All these past memories are getting to me.  I think I will have a glass of Red, Red Wine (UB40).  That will calm my nerves.    Okay now I am Right On Track (Breakfast Club).  If you have read this far the you love these songs also, no matter how goofy they were, You know it’s True (Spandua Ballet).   Sweet Dreams Are Made of These (Eurythmics) classic hits. Unfortunately now you are only likely to hear them on the moldy oldie stations, elevators or Mexican Radio (Wall of Voodoo).
Oh Sister Christian (Night Ranger), I Miss You (Klymaxx) and your Betty Davis Eyes (Kim Carnes). You were my Obsession (Animotion).  I often still wonder,  Don’t You Want Me (The Human League)?  I Can’t Wait (Nu Shooz) to see you again.  We can get in my Fast Car (Tracey Chapman) and drive down Electric Avenue (Eddie Grant) to Saint Elmo’s Fire (John Parr).  We can Rock Steady (The Whispers) like we used to. Oh yes, remember those Dance Hall Days (Wang Chung)?  I will always remember The Promise (When in Rome) We made to never forget those past glory days.  
I am sad when reality strikes though and it is just another Blue Monday (New Order).   I sit and stair out at The Rain (Oran Juice Jones).  Yet no matter where I am, there’s Always Something There to Remind Me (Naked Eyes) of Our House (Madness).  I guess there is no going back really.  I sometimes feel like I have Shattered Dreams (Johnny Hates Jazz).  I get over these melancholy moments fairly fast though.   
Though I look mostly to the future, I still Wear My Sunglasses at Night (Corey Hart).  After all, I can look to the future with no shame in the past, for I am The Warrior (Scandal) and I Love Rock N Roll (Joan Jett and The Blackhearts).  
Ah, dear reader I think I know Whats On Your Mind (Information Society).  You want to break out your old cassette tapes and Jam On It (Newcleus).  After all, deep down inside of you there is a Freak-a-zoid (Midnight Star) waiting to bust lose.  So don’t be shy.  Pump Up The Volume (M.A.R.R.S.).  Look Out Weekend (Debbie Debb) here we come!  It’s not just the Heat Of The Moment (Asia) and these are not Rumors (Timex Social Club).  You are ready to pronounce your love of these jams of the ‘80s!  Don’t You Forget About me (Simple Minds) when jamming now.  
Let us all give thanks.  Hold your Hands To Heaven (Breathe) and praise the almighty for such a glorious period in music history.  Don’t be shy.  Remember that Voices Carry ('Til Tuesday).  
Though we cannot Party All The Time (Eddie Murphy) once in a while we can drift away in our minds, pretending we are off to Key Largo (Bertie Higgins).   With our love for the music we will always Win In The End (Mark Safan).

No comments:

Post a Comment