Sunday, March 20, 2011

AT&T buying T-Mobile? Boo!

AT&T has agreed to terms to purchase T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom AG.  Just great!

As the cell phone industry ages, instead of more and more choices, we seem to keep ending up with less and less.  That is ironic as there are more and more customers every day.

I understand some larger companies buying up smaller companies, but pretty soon it will be down to one or two companies tops.  We could be looking at a monopoly one day. Think about it:

T-Mobile bought out VoiceStream, which had bought out Powertell .  Not long ago they also  purchased SunCom.   Sprint purchased Nextel, AT&T Cingular, Verizon Alltel.  The options keep dwindling folks.

How long before Sprint is gobbled up by AT&T or Verizon? Then who is left to compete with the Goliaths? Metro PCS? They don't count.    Will regulators stop the merger of the 2nd and 4th largest providers? From what I have seen in my lifetime of government, I am going to have to say, "What is no, Alex?"

Of course on a personal level, I am mad.  T-Mobile actual offers a cheap price plan I can live with.  I guess soon I will have to kiss that goodbye.  Thank you German sellouts!

So if the merger eventually goes through, who should I go with, AT&T, Sprint or Verizon? Feedback please!

3 comments:

  1. Go with any small company except for the top 3 telecom companies as a matter of principal and your pocketbook. At least that's what I intend to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much for the cheaper rates and good customer service of tmobile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just might have to follow that advice Lucille, if there is anyone else in my area.

    ReplyDelete