Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Things I liked that disappeared too quickly Part I: BarNone Candy Bar

We all find things that hook us quickly and deeply.  Then all too often these things disappear as quickly as they came.  Sometimes their loss is so bitter you wish they had never existed in the first place.

No, I am not talking about lovers, career opportunities, hot stocks or anything like that. 

I am talking about important things, things that matter.  Read on to find out what is truly important, for below is my list of things I cared about, but then left me suddenly.  Indeed, just thinking about them has tears welling up in my eyes.  

I shall press on though, for you dear reader.

1.        BarNone – This was a candy bar made by The Hershey Company in 1986.  I still to this day believe they only created it merely to tease children such as myself with its chocolaty goodness.   

Chocolate wafers coated by chocolate.  I was in chocolate heaven.  The only minor flaw was the peanuts.  Even they could not stop my love affair though. 
In 1993 someone decided to play God, and mess with the winning formula.  Perhaps they wanted to attract even more sales.  They added caramel.  They lost sales.

Then that same year, they did it.  Those conniving, dastardly, evil suits over at Hershey pulled it from production.   Even the fine folks at Old Time Candy, who do carry many other memorable candies from years past,  no longer have it available.
So yes, this was my first love lost.  Please leave me some condolences and enjoy this old commercial with both fondness and sadness, as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment