Thursday, December 2, 2010

Wait, what? I have seen this before, kind of

The Hangover with Zach Galifianakis and Bradley Cooper meets Dude, Where's My Car? with Ashton Kutcher meets The Night Before with Keanu Reeves
The Hangover sequel?
Sometimes I will be watching a movie and get the feeling I have seen something similar to it before.  I am sure I am not alone in this.  I believe someone told me there were truly only seven basic plot lines rehashed over and over in stories, and I thought to myself, “Wow, that would explain all the man versus machine stories in books and movies.  Was that one of the original seven? Was that around when William Shakespeare was picking from these plot lines, or was it only six back in his day? How would Shakespeare have handled Terminator Salvation had he been alive today to have done the screenplay? Would he have directed? Would he have allowed Christian Bale’s on site tirades?” Sorry, I digress.

When I first saw the movie The Hangover, I thought, this reminds of me Dude, Where’s My Car? Then when I started of thinking of that movie, I thought, hey, that reminds me of The Night Before, an early movie featuring Keanu Reeves, which reminded me of the 80s, which reminded me of the A-Team, which reminds me I still have not seen the movie version…but again I digress.

As previously mentioned, the man versus machine plot line has been used to death.  Personally I think nothing tops The Terminator.  I mean, come on, The Matrix was overrated.  Admit it.  There’s that man, Keanu Reeves again.  Darn you Keanu, stop finding your way into my blog! I do not remember any catchy lines from that movie, and even if one had been written for Mr. Reeves, I doubt he could deliver it as cool and smooth as Arnold Schwarzenegger's “I’ll be back!”  In fact he cannot deliver much at all, unless playing the dumb surfer sounding character like he did in Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure and his small role in Parenthood.  Come to think of it, maybe he should have had a cameo in Dude, Where’s My Car? Oops, I sorry, back to the topic...


Just last year, only months apart, Hollywood delivered unto us Paul Blart: Mall Cop and Observe and Report.   It seems it was just a strange coincidence though, as both camps claimed to not know about the other’s movie.  I am thinking maybe they both bought the same story and based slightly different screenplays off of it, but were too scared to admit they got taken by whoever wrote the initial story, but hey, whatever, they both were successful in producing comedies that were met with mediocre reviews. Yay!


I think my favorite overused plot line is the wild party/ college frat movies.  National Lampoon's Animal House (and I apologize if there was a precursor to it I am leaving out) has spawned so many wannabes it is ridiculous.  Not that I am really complaining.  I like almost all of these films, and love some of them.  National Lampoon's Van Wilder is still one of my favorite movies.  It came out around the same time as Old School, which got more attention (despite Wilder having the famed National Lampoon affiliation).  I think this, plus the fact that it was not as wild as some hyped it to up to be, made me bitter towards Old School for a while.  I can appreciate it now, even if I still just mildly like it. 

Oh, and who can forget Bachelor Party with Tom Hanks.  When I saw that movie I could not wait to grow up and throw wild parties.  The getting engaged part did not intrigue me so much.

I have yet to see College, but from the reviews I have seen I am thinking I might pass on it (if  anyone thinks I should give it a shot let me know).  Now of course there is a new TBS television show called Glory Daze which, while is hurt by its having to meet certain television standards, thus no nudity, not much swearing, etc, is pretty impressive so far.  I mean, it is set in the 80s, which is awesome, and it has a midget.  I mean come on man, what is better than a midget?!

We won't even get into all the movies where adults become kids again, kids become adults or where men have to raise babies.  That would be a long list.

Okay, so what movie sub genres do you like? What movies and books do you see/read that remind you of each other?  Are there any pothead movies, which besides the obvious connection, have the same basic story? What about romantic comedies? What else? Tell me.  Tell me now!! I want to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment